Guinea pigs are one of the most adorable animals people can keep as pets. But while guinea pigs can be adorable, they are also very selective, especially when it comes to their food.
They are very picky about what they eat, when they eat it, as well as other things, which can sometimes make it difficult for us as owners to take care of them.
Picky guinea pigs will usually select only the pieces of food that they like while passing over the rest of the other food.
This can be an issue because if they only eat the things they like out of their food they’ll start to miss out on some important nutrients. So what would be the best food for guinea pigs that are picky eaters then?
The best guinea pig food for picky eaters are:
- Oxbow Essentials Deluxe Adult Guinea Pig Food
- Small Pet Select Guinea Pig Food Pellets
- Oxbow Animal Health Garden Select Adult Guinea Pig Food
- Hartz Guinea Pig Small Animal Food Pellets
- Supreme Science Selective Guinea Pig Food
- Sherwood Pet Health Adult Guinea Pig Food
As their owners, we need to make sure they’re getting the proper vitamins and minerals that they need to continue to be healthy.
That means if your guinea pig is a picky eater, then you’ll have to give them good nutritious food that they can eat that won’t allow them to be selective.
If you want to know some more about the different guinea pig foods that are really great for the picky eaters or at least want to know what to look for when getting some for them, then check out my top 6.
Oxbow Essentials Deluxe Adult Guinea Pig Food
This food is perfect for adult guinea pigs that are fussy and picky about the food that they’re given.
It is an American product and is made out of special hand-selected Timothy Hay, which is required for a good guinea pig diet.
It’s considered to be a very healthy option among guinea pig owners since it is packed with a great amount of the vitamins and minerals that they need.
Also, it does not contain fruits, seeds, or artificial ingredients. The food is all uniform, which means each pellet has the same ingredients as the rest of the pellets. That way it helps prevent guinea pigs from being picky.
- The product is completely natural and does not contain any artificial ingredients.
- It’s made with hand-selected Timothy Hay that helps with digestion and a balanced diet.
- It helps with weight control because it’s not high in calories.
- If you aren’t used to pellet food, it can smell slightly off-putting.
- It’s only for adult guinea pigs.
- Although older guinea pigs don’t need as much, it’s still lower in calcium and protein.
- ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS FOR A HEALTHY, ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Made with high fiber Oxbow Timothy Hay to...
- SUPPORTS IMMUNE SYSTEM HEALTH: Made with stabilized Vitamin C and antioxidants to support the immune...
- PERFECT FOR PICKY EATERS: Uniform pellets prevent selective feeding
Small Pet Select Guinea Pig Food Pellets
This is another great choice for those guinea pigs that are just really fussy eaters.
It’s also made with Timothy Hay and has the essential vitamins and minerals that are important for guinea pigs.
To make sure the pellets are the same and fresh, it is created in small batches.
That way picky eaters will get all of the nutrients they need with food that’s also really fresh.
It’s made in the USA by a small family-owned manufacturer who specifically focuses on the needs and requirements of small pets.
- It is a Timothy Hay based food.
- The food contains all the necessary nutrients that a picky eater will require.
- This food is known for its quality.
- It’s not organic.
- The ingredients suggest that it’s not for young guinea pigs.
- The food pellets are not that soft.
- Highest Quality Guinea Pig Food
- Timothy Hay Based Guinea Pig Food Pellets Made With Only The Finest Ingredients
- Fortified With All Essential Vitamins And Minerals Your Guinea Pig Needs To Thrive
Oxbow Animal Health Garden Select Adult Guinea Pig Food
Oxbow has several foods for pets, and this is one from its Animal Health and Garden Select collection.
It is one of the USA made options and like some other Oxbow food, it is natural and the food pellets are also made up of hand-selected Timothy Hay.
This food contains important dietary elements for guinea pigs and is also non-GMO verified.
Moreover, it’s also enriched with selected garden ingredients that taste good to picky guinea pigs.
The 100 percent uniform pellets are packed with the necessary vitamins and minerals for the overall growth and health of guinea pigs.
- It’s completely natural.
- It is non-GMO verified.
- The food does not have any refined sugar.
- It’s meant for adult guinea pigs only.
- Sometimes the food pellets have to be mixed with other food.
- Really picky eaters can sometimes take a while to get used to it.
- Non-GMO formula
- Features three varieties of grass hay to support variety & meal enrichment
- Contains unique, high-quality garden ingredients that mimic those found in your pet’s natural...
Hartz Guinea Pig Small Animal Food Pellets
This is another well-known brand that makes food for guinea pigs that are very selective about the food that they get.
It’s enriched with the complete nutrient value that they will need, which can help in the overall growth and health of your picky eater.
The food is also made in a way that tastes really good to guinea pigs while still meeting their nutritional needs at the same time.
- By being high in fiber, it helps maintain the digestive health of guinea pigs.
- It is created with all the necessary vitamins and minerals for a balanced diet.
- The food is moderately cheaper than other choices.
- Some guinea pigs don’t like the bigger pellets.
- Sometimes the food can have slightly uneven consistency.
- It has some artificial ingredients.
- Scientifically-Formulated To Meet The Nutritional Needs Of Guinea Pigs, This Diet Contains Carefully...
- Diet Fortified With Vitamins, Antioxidants And Omega-6 Fatty Acids.
- Helps To Maintain Optimum Health And Shiny Coats.
Supreme Science Selective Guinea Pig Food
This bag of food is made specifically for guinea pigs that happen to be very selective.
It’s a balanced meal that’s made with natural ingredients and is perfect for guinea pigs of all ages.
It has a good amount of fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants to help support their digestive and immune system.
The food contains all of the required dietary essentials for the overall healthy growth of guinea pigs.
Also, it does not contain any added sugar, making it a really healthy choice for our little friends.
- Suitable for guinea pigs of all ages.
- The food has a high fiber content.
- It can help with maintaining the skin and coat of guinea pigs.
- It contains some fast food type ingredients that taste good but aren’t too healthy.
- Some guinea pigs might not like the food at first.
- Even though guinea pigs do love it, it has molasses which is slightly unhealthy for them.
- Daily diet for guinea pigs of all ages
- With stabilised Vitamin C – essential to maintain healthy function
- Balanced protein (16%) to help maintain healthy weight
Sherwood Pet Health Adult Guinea Pig Food
This is another well-known food that works really well for our very picky eaters.
All of the pellets are made with natural ingredients that don’t have any extra fillers or binders in them, so you can be sure it’s very fresh.
This food is completely soy and grain-free, which is not always the case for some of the other foods on the market.
It is a very natural food for adult guinea pigs which contains all of the vitamins and minerals they need for a healthy and balanced diet, and that includes a decent amount of shelf-stable vitamin C.
- The food is soy and grain-free.
- It’s natural and does not contain artificial ingredients.
- It’s great for guinea pigs who need to get their health back on track.
- The food is only meant for adult guinea pigs.
- Some guinea pigs can take a while to get used to it.
- This food is slightly more expensive compared to other available food.
- Soy and Grain-Free
- Super Fresh & Super Green
- All Natural, no binders or fillers.
What To Look For When Buying Guinea Pig Food For Picky Eaters
There are really only a few things that you should look out for when getting food for a guinea pig that’s very picky about what they eat.
Make sure you’re getting food that’s all completely the same, nutritionally complete, and does not contain that many binders or fillers.
That way you’ll help your picky eater with getting some healthy food that at the same time can help prevent them from being so selective all the time.
- Get 100 percent uniform food
When you’re getting food for your picky eater, the first thing you want to look for is if each pellet contains the same ingredients.
Guinea pigs will usually become very selective eaters when they have a bunch of different choices to eat from.
When they start to only pick out the foods that they like, they’ll miss out on a lot of important nutrients.
So by having food that is all the same you can make sure they’re getting everything that they need.
- Check to see if the food is nutritionally complete
Another thing to look for if you have a picky guinea pig is if the food is complete nutritionally.
This can sometimes be overlooked because many of the foods available seem like they’re complete but they actually aren’t.
If you get food that isn’t, then you’ll have to get other food to go along with it to make it complete or you’ll have to substitute it with supplements.
That’s why it’s very important to make sure the food you get has all the essentials.
- Make sure the food doesn’t contain too many extra fillers
Some food is made with extra fillers or binders that can taste really good to guinea pigs but it won’t be very healthy for them.
All of the extra fillers can actually help promote selective eating so it’s best to try to only get food without it.
That way a guinea pig that’s a picky eater can get all of the nutrients they to continue a healthy life.