Heat pads do a great job of keeping your guinea pig warm on those colder nights.
There are three types of heat pads that you should be aware of and those are microwaveable, electric, and self-warming. So what are the best heat pads for guinea pigs?
The best guinea pig heat pads are:
- Pet Heating Pad By Snuggle Safe.
- Pet Fit For Life Snuggle Soft Cooling And Microwave Heating Gel Pad.
- K&H Pet Products Microwavable Pet Bed Warmer.
- Arf Pets Microwavable Pet Heating Pad.
- K&H Pet Products Electric Small Animal Heating Pad.
- K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Pet Crate Pad.
When using any heating pads always follow the instructions the heat pad comes with so you know you’re doing it the safest way possible. That way your guinea pigs will be warm and you’ll have peace of mind.
Table of Contents
Pet Heating Pad By Snuggle Safe
When it comes to heating pads for guinea pigs, this is one of the most highly rated ones available.
It is perfect for overnight use on nights that are colder than usual. It’s bite-resistant and microwavable, which means that you’ll have no electrical wires to deal with.
The pad contains Thermapol, which is non-toxic and what helps it maintain its warmth for a long period of time.
That warmth can last up to 10 hours when placed in the cover that’s included, and the heat pad itself can last up to 3 years even with daily use.
This pad is SGS and Smithers Rapra tested to ensure that it conforms to its original design and heating purpose.
It also comes with detailed instructions to help you figure out how long you should heat it up depending on your microwave wattage.
- Made to be bite resistant.
- The heat can last up to 10 hours.
- It lasts up to 3 years even with daily use.
- It’s made with a sturdy plastic so you can’t fold or shape it.
- The size is about 9 inches in diameter.
- It weighs about 1.98 pounds so it can be slightly heavy.
- PERFECT FOR TRAVEL AND COMES WITH FLEECE COVER: Lightweight and compact design that makes it a...
- ORIGINAL, DURABLE, AND SAFE: There is only one ORIGINAL SnuggleSafe pet microwaveable heat pad for...
- MADE FOR THE COMFORT AND SAFETY OF YOUR PETS: It is toxic-free, no electrical wires, and bite...
Pet Fit For Life Snuggle Soft Cooling And Microwave Heating Gel Pad
This heat pad is one of the more unique ones on this list because it’s dual purpose.
It doubles as both a heating and cooling pad. That means it’ll do a great job of keeping your guinea pigs warm in the winter months and cool in the summer months.
The fleece cover that it comes with is easy to remove and machine washable.
Because it’s gel-based it’s easy to shape and fold how you want it, so it’s perfect if you need your heat pad to sit in an awkward angle.
- It doubles as a heat and cold pad.
- It’s one of the bigger pads coming in at 12 inches in diameter.
- The pad is soft so it’s easy to manage.
- To get it warm you’ll have to heat it 30 seconds at a time.
- It can take an hour or more to cool the gel to use it as a cooling pad.
- The gel sometimes will move to one side while it’s being used.
- Versatile Comfort: Experience high-quality cooling and warmth with our dual-purpose heating/cooling...
- Snuggle-Soft Design: Pamper your pet with this heating/cooling pad for pets featuring a soft fleece...
- Easy Temperature Control: Adjust the temperature to your pet's preference using our cool pet pad....
K&H Pet Products Microwavable Pet Bed Warmer
This heat pad starts off hard and as you microwave it, it becomes soft so you can easily fit it into your guinea pigs cage.
It stays warm for up to 12 hours which means it works well for long cold nights.
You can easily tell that the heat pad is cooling off when it starts to harden back up, and at that point, it’ll have already warmed your pet up for the night.
It isn’t one of the more stylish ones on this list but it does do a great job of keeping its heat throughout the night.
- It gets squishy when warm so it’s easy to manage.
- The warmth lasts for up to 12 hours.
- Its handle makes it easy to carry.
- It can take a while to heat up in the microwave.
- When it isn’t warm it can have a very hard surface.
- The inside of the pad needs to be adjusted sometimes.
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR: Indoors or outdoors, place in any pet bed to create a heated cat bed or heated dog...
- SOFT NOT HARD: Unlike other microwave warmers, this pet warmer is soft and squishy when warm
- DURABLE: Durable neoprene cover protects the pet bed warmer and can be cleaned with soap and water
Arf Pets Microwavable Pet Heating Pad
This is the last microwaveable pad on this list and it can stay warm for up to 8 hours.
It doesn’t take up much space because it’s so compact and its fleece cover makes it easy for your pets to snuggle up against it.
While it doesn’t stay warm for as long as the other microwaveable ones on this list, it still is good for daytime use.
So it’s perfect if you need a heating pad that can work in small bursts throughout the day.
- It’s a great daytime heat pad.
- The pad is easy to warm up.
- It doesn’t take long to heat up.
- The heat pad can be slightly hard, especially outside of its cover.
- It’s a slightly smaller pad, it measures in at about 8 inches in diameter.
- It will only stay warm for about 8 hours.
- LONG LASTING WARMTH – Heat Emanates from Pad for Up to 8 Hours & Gradually Cools Off to Lull Your...
- SOFT FLEECE LINER – Fleece Liner Provides Maximum Comfort & Snuggles; Removable & Machine Washable...
- SAFE HEATING ELEMENT – Gel Heating Element Eliminates Wires or Electricity, Keeping Your Pets...
K&H Pet Products Electric Small Animal Heating Pad
This is the only electric heat pad on this list and it was made with small pets in mind.
Small pets like guinea pigs love to chew on almost everything but this pad does a good job of being chew resistant.
The edges are rounded so it’s less enticing to chew on and the power cord is steel-encased for protection.
This electric heat pad is low wattage so it’s energy-efficient and is perfect for indoor and outdoor use when you need constant heat.
- The heat pad was designed to be chew resistant.
- It’s energy-efficient.
- It can be used indoors and outdoors.
- The cover is sold separately.
- The heat pad is hard without the cover.
- You’ll need to check on it because guinea pigs love to chew on anything.
- SMALL ANIMALS: Outdoor/indoor animal heating pad is great for most small animals including rabbits,...
- AUTOMATIC: Thermostatically controlled warming mat automatically warms to the perfect temperature...
- CHEW RESISTANT: This heated mat includes chew resistant features like steel encased cord,...
K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Pet Crate Pad
Even though this is the budget pick of the list, that doesn’t mean it does a bad job at keeping your guinea pigs warm.
It doesn’t generate its own warmth, but it uses your pet’s natural body heat to help radiate that heat back to them.
It the biggest pad on this list and can fit nicely under most guinea pig cages. This is perfect for pet owners that don’t exactly need heat generated for their guinea pigs but still would like for them to be warmer.
- It fits in most guinea pig cages.
- It’s made with odor control.
- The pad help keep your guinea pigs warmer in slightly cold weather.
- This pad does not generate its own heat.
- You may have to clean it more often.
- It can take a while to break in.
- SELF-WARMING TECHNOLOGY: Self-warming material captures your pet's body heat and radiates the warmth...
- IDEAL CRATE FIT: Corner slits to allow a perfect fit into any pet crate and non-slip bottom for...
- MULTI-USE: Self warming kennel pad can be used outside a crate or kennel as a stand-alone warming...
What To Look For When Buying Heat Pads For Guinea Pigs
When it comes to buying any heat pads for your guinea pigs there are several things that you have to consider.
That way you can be sure you get the right one for your pets and your specific situation.
How Does It Generate Heat?
The very first thing that you should consider is the right heat source for your guinea pig habitat.
The three main ways these pads generate heat is from being warmed up in a microwave, by receiving electricity from being plugged in, and self-warming ones that help reflect your pet’s body heat.
If you keep your guinea pigs indoors then most likely all you’ll need is a microwaveable one because it provides sufficient heat that fades away overnight.
The electric ones are best for people that keep their pets outside where the conditions are a lot harsher.
In that case, their pets need some constant and reliable heat throughout the night.
The last type is perfect for slightly colder nights where your pets just need a little assistance with keeping warm.
How Hot Do You Need The Heat Pad To Get?
How hot the pad gets is also related to which one is best for your situation. The electric ones by far have to greatest potential to get very hot.
The microwaveable ones can also get pretty hot but should only be heated up according to the instructions.
If you heat it up for too long to try to get it to become hotter you could risk damaging the pad.
The self-warming pads do a great job of reflecting and maintaining your pet’s heat but they don’t get hotter than what heat your pets give off.
How Long Do You Need The Heat To Last?
Everyone’s situation is different and these heat mats cover all the bases. If you need to maintain warmth all night then an electric one is best.
If your house gets generally cold at night or during the winter, then a microwaveable one would be a nice fit. The self-warming pads are more for everyday use when it’s slightly cold.
What Size Is The Heat Pad?
Heat pads come in different sizes. If you just need warmth for a smaller space the microwavable ones will provide that compact heat.
The electric ones are usually the same size if not just a little bigger, they just generate more consistent heat.
The biggest ones are the self-warming pads, they do a good job at covering more of the guinea pigs cage than the other pads.
What Protection Does It Offer Against Your Guinea Pigs Chewing On It?
The self-warming pad doesn’t offer much chewing protection, but both the microwaveable and electric heat pads offer some protection against chewing.
Most microwaveable ones are designed to be less desirable to chew on by being more rounded.
That roundness helps prevent chewing because it doesn’t give you guinea pigs a corner to chew at.
The electric one that’s on this list comes with chew resistant features like the electric cord being steel encased and the edges also rounded.
Using Your Heat Pad Safely
Finally, after you’ve considered all of this, you’ll need to always make sure to use the pads as they were intended.
The safest way possible to do that is by following the instructions that come with them. That way you know you’re being safe and you’ll also do a better job of extending the lifespan of the pad.
When used correctly, heat mats can be a great addition to your guinea pigs cage especially in the winter, and if you live in colder climates.